The weather felt like Mid-October, but the calendar said that it was the end of August, so that means one thing... The Tour de Shawnee. The TdS is a charity bicycle ride which supports the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and is now in it's 20th Year. There were around 600 riders this year. There's a 25 mile or an 11.5 mile option. There used to be a 50 mile route, but it's been cut for budgetary reasons. This is the 5th time that I've ridden in the event and for the second year in a row, I've brought Libby along with me. The event is really well organized from beginning to end. Plenty of parking, breakfast (bagels, donuts, fruit, juice, coffee, etc.), rest stops (four total on the 25 mile route, two on the 11.5 mile route) stocked with cookies, fruit, and water, police at every intersection giving the right-of-way to the riders, roving bike repair from the local shops, and a box lunch at the end of the ride. Plus a long sleeve t-shirt. All for $25. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning.
I rode over to the start from our house. Lori and Sara drove Libby and her bike out. Libby forgot her helmet, so Lori drove home and picked it up. But, she made it back in time and Libby and I pedaled away when the air horn went off at 8AM. Here's Libby and I all geared up and ready to go.
I rode over to the start from our house. Lori and Sara drove Libby and her bike out. Libby forgot her helmet, so Lori drove home and picked it up. But, she made it back in time and Libby and I pedaled away when the air horn went off at 8AM. Here's Libby and I all geared up and ready to go.
Here's Libby "in action" on 55th Street.
After a couple more turns and a couple of additional hills, we made it to the finish line. Sara was there to capture the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment